Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I just don't understand other people

I was rather brutally attacked verbally in another blog I write, one written from the point of view of my Second Life® avatar. It was totally uncalled for, and deliberately inflammatory, even when I responded trying to be conciliatory.

I don't understand. My mother raised me to believe that if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all. And if you do want to disagree with me, there is a polite way to do so. Personal slurs are not appropriate or acceptable.

Here is where my husband and I differ. He said that he would have just shrugged it, and them, off as losers, and it would not have hurt his feelings at all. He woudn't have given it a second thought. I have to believe that this is how "normal" people would respond (my husband being a mostly "normal" person, if there is such a thing).

But me? I got very upset, continued to dwell on it all evening, and took the exacto knife to one arm to carve the word "Now" (which greatly upset my husband). Extreme? Maybe. Why do the mean words of people I do not know hurt me? They should not be able to hurt me, because I don't know them, and therefore should not value their opinion.

And this is the crux of the matter for me. This need to understand WHY other people do what they do. And why does it have the power to hurt so much? I feel like if only I could understand this, everything else would fall into place.

Princess Ivory

No comments: